3.09.2009

Spicy Oatmeal Crisps



I like my food spicy. Desserts do not escape this preference. My all time favorite cookie recipe calls for a 1/4 of a tsp. of cayenne peppers and makes the back of your throat burn. So, when I saw the name of these cookies, I thought they'd be right up my alley. Well, they were certainly tasty, not short in the flavor department at all, but they definitely could have been a little spicier in my opinion - especially if you're going to call them spicy. Nevertheless, I obviously recommend them since I'm posting them here. Keep in mind these are crunchy cookies, so don't bother making them if you like your cookies soft and chewy. Also, make sure you leave plenty of room between the cookies on the cookie sheet when dropping the dough because they spread quite a bit. And be sure to leave them in the oven long enough. I took about half the batch out about a minute or two too soon and ended up with cookies that fell apart while trying to scrape them off the pan. One thing I liked about this recipe is it doesn't make much batter so you don't end up with 30 cookies which means you won't eat 30 cookies. It made about 18 cookies for me. Try it and don't be afraid of the black pepper.

Spicy Oatmeal Crisps

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup regular oats (I'd recommend a rounded 1/2 cup)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (flour through pepper) in a medium bowl. Beat sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in flour mixture and oats.

Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until crisp. Cool on pan 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pan; cool on wire racks.


Source: Cooking Light

No comments:

Post a Comment